Re: More Wested Ramblings

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on March 17, 2000 at 14:49:23:

In Reply to: Re: More Wested Ramblings posted by California Jones on March 17, 2000 at 13:54:35:

: Mine did exactly the same thing. I think we all have blinders on where wested is concerned. Somewhat like the old story of the emperor wearing no clothes. When mine started ripping out, I took it to a leather repair shop. He flat out said that it was a poor job originally on the way the straps were attached. Very poorly done. I had him triple stitch it and attach it to the pocket, which fixed the whole problem. It is now very strong, but I am unable to get my hands in the pockets.

: I still love the jacket, but really can't understand why the straps were attached so poorly.

I don't think I have ever had an independent tailor doing repairs on garments say, "Wow, what a fine piece of work!" Generally, they're like the good old independent car repair guys - they say everything they work on is a piece of crap. I have yet to decide whether its because they only see the ones that were bad, or that it's easier to criticize other's work whether you could do better yourself or not.

OK, I'm off of my soapbox.

The straps on all three of my Westeds were triple-stitched. I don't use the handwarmers because my hands are just a bit too beefy, if you understand my meaning. I have, however, had these jackets turned inside out in order to do my own alterations to the sleeve length. The area you are describing, as well as all areas that receive stitching, has multiple layers of heavy cotton material glued to the back. This material is glued to the back of the leather, and is intended to prevent exactly what you say is happening. Any leather is susceptible to this, but lambskin is especially vulnerable. Anybody who works with it who knows his or her business will tell you so.

Maybe a few Westeds went out without the proper reinforcement? I don't know. I would suggest before implying that "the emperor has no close" that you make sure your vision checks out. If you have a beef with your jacket, talk to Peter. In my experience, he's always been fair and takes a great deal of pride in his work.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: