Re: Eh?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust83.tnt1.provo.ut.da.uu.net on March 18, 2000 at 13:54:50:

In Reply to: Eh? posted by Ulla on March 18, 2000 at 12:20:34:

: To be quite honest, (and this is the naive Ulla speaking [typing?!:-]) but I never quite "got" that exchange of lines.
: I mean, sure, Indy has SIMILAR eyes to Sean Connery's, and I've NEVER seen his mother's, but the rest belongs to Elsa?
: DID I MISS SOMETHIN' HERE?!
: Perhaps Indy is to "advanced" in intellect for me, but, come to think of it, I don't get a LOT of lines from the trilogy!
: (Remember that forum question by me on Marion saying "I don't think we need a chaperone?"! Geez, I am turning into "'Mickey Mouse'"!!)
: Weirdly,
: Ulla
: the Naivette

I believe one reads the Venice scene like this:
"Dr. Jones? I knew it was you; you have your father's eyes."
(Elsa recognizes Indy as she has been close to his father. To recognize his eyes in particular foreshadows the intimacy that would be revealed later.)

"And my mother's ears..."
(Indy is making a multi-layered joke here. (1) He is remarking that his hearing is good, since he immediately reacts to Elsa calling his name--he has good hearing (2) His ears look like his mothers just like his eyes look like his fathers...in a sense those physical characteristics belong to his parents)

"...but the rest belongs to you!"
(Here, Indy is saying essentially: "The rest of my parts belong to you, Elsa. He is flirting with her; making a pass by saying "If you want the rest of my body, it is yours, doll!")

That's how I read that scene

--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: