heroes never glorify themselves

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jackilyn from modem606.olynet.com on March 20, 2000 at 02:00:40:

In Reply to: Stereotyping Indyfans...my ranting. posted by Scot from S.C. on March 20, 2000 at 01:09:47:

I don't mean to sound as though it isn't something interesting to do perhaps, but within this post itself, is mentioned simply how "cool" the stuff looks anyway, not specifically the true functionality that can be inherant in such things I might suppose.

My perception is that Indiana jones does look pretty good how he is dressed.
But, if I can find a thrift shirt for relatively cheap, and modern boots with the comfort they offer, as well as pants and other such things...it is better in my opinion than spending too much money on things that even if I do wear them, if I rip them or break something or lose an item, I won't be terribly sad when I had invested so much into them.
As well as being perhaps attached to such objects giving me a false sense of practicality - or the way one looks at things.

As for the subject above, the hero never worries about himself or his posessions so much as perhaps helping others, or humanity as a whole in a sense.
He portrays his virtues as such without regard to how he looks.

later.

: Okay, since an earlier e-mail from a lady sort of bugged me, I will add my "two cents" as well...lol. Actually, I am responding more to some of the ideas/notions the general public may have about many of us. A lot of people would like to assume that most Indy fans are driven to look like the man himself. Well, like California Mike mentioned earlier (I think it was him), many people liked the look even before Indy came to the big screen. I owned a leather bomber jacket myself when I was a kid and wore that thing all of the time (especially adventuring in the woods, etc.). Now I do want the fedora , etc. and yes it is primarily that I thought they looked cool almost twenty years ago when I first saw it on the big screen. I have ordered myself a bag from Mr. Howard and sure, I could have paid half of what I am and gotten an updated bag to carry things in when I go adventuring. But you know, I didn't. I wanted something that I could sling over and carry that way. I have tried the backpack thing and it doesn't work when I am out digging around and going through heavy brush (I go metal detecting a lot). Anyway, that is my reasoning (lol...justification?) for it. Of course, it DOES look ultra cool too.
: I also hate it when people think that we (the fans) are all little meek keyboarding/internet geeks (there is a long story on that one that I will share sometime). That really kills me. I mean, besides being a huge Indy fan, I am a powerlifter and coach wrestling at the high school I teach at here. And from a lot of the posts that I read here, many of the other fans don't sound like geeks. I feel confident in saying that an Indy convention would probably have more "normal" people in attendance than the typical Trek convention (I went with a friend once to one...a lot of scary folks for the most part...at that one anyway). I mean, to each his own and yeah, I guess on the outside it (the whole Indy thing) might look silly, but at least I am a fan of something that I can participate in more than most other clubs. I was adventuring/relic hunting with my pop when I was a kid in the late 70's, and it has stuck ever since.
: Well, am I long winded or what? It is late, and I couldn't sleep, so I fired up the old Gateway and came here. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I feel better now and heck, I even feel sleepy. Maybe Micah should start charging fees for curing insomina, etc. A good night/day to all from South Carolina!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]