Adventuring

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Don from cras18p63.navix.net on March 20, 2000 at 14:17:16:

In Reply to: Stereotyping Indyfans...my ranting. posted by Scot from S.C. on March 20, 2000 at 01:09:47:

The young lady has something to say about practicality, but it is obvious she has never really been in the thick of it. I have a fedora that I had handmade by a local hatmaker. It isn't exactly like Indy's, more Indy inspired with some personal touches. That hat has been with me on geology trips were I went under a natural spring, found fossils, and tumbled down outcrops. Further, it has been with me when I interned for the federal government. I have slept under trees full of bats in Oklahoma and worked on 4,000 year old cuneiform tablets at my University-- All with my hat! I would not trade that hat for the world. I am sure you adventuring folks know what I am talking about. It may not be a hat, but it may be a jacket or bag or pocket knife. I think once you go through some adventures with a certain article, it becomes like a friend. The young lady who opened this can of worms needs to realize that is isn't necessarily that the articles of clothing or equipment look like Indy's, but it is what we've done in them that make them dear.

As for practicality. I paid about $300 for my fedora. It has been drenched in rain, exposed to urban pollution, snow, heat, and been beaten and hit against rocks, trees, and alomost any other material one can think of. It keeps the sun out of my eyes and had shielded me from rocks and falling spring water. The schmucks who wear baseball caps are always sunburnt or wet or cold. Look for the person with the fedora. I bet even in a blizzard they would be smiling. Functionality to the hilt!

Regards

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]