I've handled both...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on March 21, 2000 at 11:19:51:

In Reply to: Mark Allen vs. David Morgan posted by RaiderOfTheArk on March 20, 2000 at 21:54:33:

: All you whip owners out there could you list the pro's and cons of both the david morgan indy whip and the mark allen version? I would greatly like to know being as I the whip will be my next piece of indy gear and the allen costs oh so less. So any one out there own both? or at least a mark allen? what are they like in terms of craftsmanship, and construction? Are they as dureable as the David Morgans?

: thanks,

In the world of Indy bullwhips, there is a wide chasm between the degrees of quality available to us; it’s either very high quality or is complete crap. Fortunately, both the David Morgan and Mark Allen offerings are at the high quality end of the spectrum. Both are hand made by skilled craftsmen schooled in the making of Australian bullwhips. Both are constructed from high quality kangaroo with double plaited bellies, high quality falls, crackers, and handles. The REAL difference between the two boils down to two points:

1. David Morgan makes the David Morgan whip. He is the master. Each whip will get his personal attention to detail. He made the actual whips used in the trilogy – except for some specialty stunt whips. For the above, you will pay a premium.

2. The Mark Allen whips are made in the same manner as the David Morgan whips, but are “mass produced” - if you can really use the term here – by skilled craftsmen in Australia. Any quality difference between the Mark Allen and the David Morgan would be difficult to discern by anyone but a fairly skilled user. Those differences would be immaterial to all but the most discerning users. The only visual difference between the two is a slight difference in the shape of the end of the handle – the DM is more conical, while the MA is more cylindrical.

Personally, I don’t think the difference is worth the premium. I would not, however argue with somebody who does. If you’re looking for a fully functional working bullwhip that will look terrific with the rest of your gear, hanging from your belt, a MA 8 footer at $300 is sure easier to swallow vs. $500+.

Again, IMHO.

Cheers!

Patterson

: RaiderOfTheArk

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: