Re: Mark Allen vs. David Morgan

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from FLNTA010-0838.splitrock.net on March 21, 2000 at 16:13:29:

In Reply to: Mark Allen vs. David Morgan posted by RaiderOfTheArk on March 20, 2000 at 21:54:33:

: All you whip owners out there could you list the pro's and cons of both the david morgan indy whip and the mark allen version? I would greatly like to know being as I the whip will be my next piece of indy gear and the allen costs oh so less. So any one out there own both? or at least a mark allen? what are they like in terms of craftsmanship, and construction? Are they as dureable as the David Morgans?

: thanks,

: RaiderOfTheArk

It sounds like Patterson pretty much hit the nail on the head, but to add to his message. They are both similar in construction. Both have the double underbellies and the same general design. The craftsmanship on the Morgan whip tends to be a more refined, the braid is a little more precise. The kangaroo lace is trimmed and beveled, you can tell extra work goes into them. The Allen whip is more of a production line bullwhip, they are made in larger numbers by whip makes in Australia. They are still very good whips, however; they seem to miss the little things, the extras that take the Morgan bullwhip up a couple notches.

The Morgan bullwhip is true to the bullwhip used in the Indiana Jones films, the Mark Allen version has some slight differences. The Turks head knot at the end of the handle for example is shaped slightly different on Marks bullwhip. The Turks head knot is also braided with a double lace, unlike David Morgan who uses a triple lace braid. Its not something that’s going to really effect the way the whip handles but its worth mentioning if your going for prop replica accuracy.

It also looks like the kangaroo lace is cut just a little narrower on Mark Allen’s version, Where as David Morgan’s lace is cut it wider to add durability under rough conditions

In either case they are both fine whips that will hold up very well and with a little care should provide you with years of use. Your good with either whip however, In my opinion the David Morgan bullwhip is better, probably not for the price difference but as far as quality and accuracy to the movie prop it is.

Regarding the handle, At one time Mark Allen’s catalog had the two bullwhips mixed up. They listed the Australian bullwhip as the style used in the Indiana Jones films and the actual Indy style whip as the longer thicker handle Australian bullwhip used in Batman Returns. Its since been fixed but the mix up caused some confusions at one time.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]