The Mystery Script

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust71.tnt1.provo.ut.da.uu.net on March 22, 2000 at 00:41:35:

I've begun reading this "new" script, and though it is very well written, I can't believe it to be legitimate. Every piece of fan fiction is always very careful to employ the opening segue from the Paramount Mountain to an in-story representational feature. However, from this point, they usually veer from the "Indy" formula. The 3 Indy movies have stories which unfold from the perspective of Indiana Jones. There is never any other perspective that launches the story. The opening "teaser" sequences always involve Indy (hommage to James Bond). Never do we, the audience, see or learn of main plot points BEFORE Indiana Jones does. Let's take "Last Crusade" as an example. We all know the opening teaser segment with River Pheonix and Harrison Ford in a subplot, etc. Then, Indy is taken to Donovan who introduces the main plot premise (much like the Government Agents did in Raiders). We never actually SEE Donovan's engineers unearth the Grail Tablet while excavating for copper--he only relays this to Indy. In this "new" Indy script, there are too many opening sequences set parallel to the traditional "Indy teaser scenario" which propel the reader/viewer into the main plot premise BEFORE Indy becomes involved. This is traditional Hollywood formula, but not at all "Indy formula". I will continue to read the story, because it seems interesting. I fear it to borrow from "Fate of Atlantis" already with the "discs" as relics thing, but we will see. I look at it as a fun story, engaging and fast-paced, but lacking the authenticity in fluidity and formula we find in the films.

Regards,
nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: