Re: My First Indy Whip

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from sdn-ar-001vannewP067.dialsprint.net on March 22, 2000 at 08:25:56:

In Reply to: My First Indy Whip posted by Indiana Valdez on March 22, 2000 at 01:47:30:

Hey. I always love a good (BAD PUN WARNING!) whip post. I couldn't be happier with my 8 footer. Anything longer would take a little more muscle to wield correctly. And unless you have massive amounts of time to put into practicing with a long whip, your best bet is with a slightly shorter one. I've been able to produce some awesome whip-crackin' action with mine (so much so that my neighbors "kindly" asked that I cut it out...), meaning that an 8 footer can make some classic Indy sound bites. This is just my opinion; I'm sure others have their own unique feelings on the subject. Happy whipping!
-graml
PS Be sure to wear something with long sleeves the first few times... my friends and I still have scars (both mental and physical) from being a bit too over-enthusiastic early on. Do you know how embarassing it is to try to explain to someone that the long red welt on your arm happened when you accidentally whipped yourself?

: Yes, I know, there have probably been tons of posts about this kind of thing already, but what the heck.

: I'm ready to buy my first Indy whip, (a David Morgan of course) but I want to get a few more opinions on which one length-wise to get before I go and order it. A lot of people have told me it depends on what I want to do with it. Supposedly, 10 and 12 footers work best for wraps and loud powerfull cracks, but they are harder to control and manuever. While the shorter whips, such as the 5, 6 and 8 footers, are good for targeting and are easier to manuever, but they loose the power to make good cracks and they don't wrap as easy.

: So from what I've heard, it seems to me that an 8 footer would be the best choice as it is pretty much the median in the lengths of the whips, as well as in their capabilities. I originally wanted to go with a 10, but I also had to keep in mind that I am a beginner, so it would definitely be easier to learn with a shorter length whip rather than a 10 or 12 footer. So what does everyone think? Go for the 8? I'm ready for all suggestions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]