Whip recommendation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from FLNTB208-07.splitrock.net on March 22, 2000 at 23:18:16:

In Reply to: My First Indy Whip posted by Indiana Valdez on March 22, 2000 at 01:47:30:

: Yes, I know, there have probably been tons of posts about this kind of thing already, but what the heck.

: I'm ready to buy my first Indy whip, (a David Morgan of course) but I want to get a few more opinions on which one length-wise to get before I go and order it. A lot of people have told me it depends on what I want to do with it. Supposedly, 10 and 12 footers work best for wraps and loud powerfull cracks, but they are harder to control and manuever. While the shorter whips, such as the 5, 6 and 8 footers, are good for targeting and are easier to manuever, but they loose the power to make good cracks and they don't wrap as easy.

: So from what I've heard, it seems to me that an 8 footer would be the best choice as it is pretty much the median in the lengths of the whips, as well as in their capabilities. I originally wanted to go with a 10, but I also had to keep in mind that I am a beginner, so it would definitely be easier to learn with a shorter length whip rather than a 10 or 12 footer. So what does everyone think? Go for the 8? I'm ready for all suggestions.

I usually recommend starting out with an 8ft bullwhip. The 8ft tends to be a good overall length as it works well for just about everything. You can cut targets, do some wraps and trick work with them. I wouldn’t suggest starting with anything shorter than a 6ft whip. They have a faster reaction time and you don’t get as good of feel for the whip as your learning. You can learn with a 10ft whip but it is going to be a little tougher to control at first. Anything longer you should wait till you at least learned the basics.

Whip cracking is more technique the raw power. Since your just starting out I would also suggest picking up one of the tapes on whip cracking or at least check out the Bullwhip FAQ paying particularly close attention to the safety aspect. Good luck and hope this helps.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]