Hat protector? Hmmmm....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tk072.proxy.aol.com on March 27, 2000 at 17:24:16:

In Reply to: Re: What worked for me... posted by Steve on March 27, 2000 at 10:46:11:

: : : Well, thats it! I think I have waited too long for this HJ hat and I think Iam going to order an Indy miller. From what people say, they are the perfect solution to the HJ hat.

: : : My question is this: I want the Indy miller to look as close as it can to the Raiders version. How can I do this. Cutting the brim does not matter to me, I just want the crown shape. If somebody could write the instructions here, at the Indyfan forum that would be great
: : : Thanks. Iam sending the letter tommorow to request to have my order cancelled.
: : : I did try writing them a letter and they have not responded since Janurary. It would have only taken 5 minenuets for them to write down and say that they have had a delay, and so forth; dont u all agree?
: : : I know that on Indygear, there is a page by Patteson that shows u how to do it but to me, that it a little complicated. I dont want to cut anything, I just want to fix the crown to make it look like the Raiders version, when they were in a cave

: : : Regards: Post your thoughts
: : : INDY JONES

: :
: : One thing I learned from my first Indy miller was that they do tend to shrink a bit, so be careful even if you use cold water (I would NOT recommend steam!). What I did on my second hat (unlike the first) was to put the center dent crease in the top of the crown while the hat was bone dry, then, with the hat still dry, begin to pinch the front, making dents as large as you can, and when it looks half-way decent, THEN take out the old spray bottle and lightly wet the front pinch, squeezing, almost folding into that razor-like edge. I wouldn't recommend wetting the top of the crown at all. Basically, if cutting isn't on your list of Raider's hat specs, then I would just say take out a good old photo and bash it as best you can with your bare hands, and use the water only if you cannot acheive the proper look dry, or if the dry felt has too many bumps that need to be smoothed out. You might want to also take out a steam iron and iron the brim down as flat as you can (Steve gave me this idea in an old post) if you don't, the brim looks NOTHING like the Raiders hat. With the brim a bit more flexible from the steaming, fold it down in front, and up a little on the sides, and a little less in back (consult a photo for this) Anyway, GOOD LUCK! You shouldn't be disappointed!
: : -GCR

:
: You are right about this hat shrinking pretty easily. On my second Miller, I just ironed the brim out before trimming, and then shaped the hat dry. Since I was copying the TOD fedora, this worked well, and the hat looks great. Also, I realy gave the hat a good spraying with hat protector, since I may get it wet in the future with the rain and all. Steve

What exactly is hat protector, and where would someone be able to pick it up? Is it somewhat like scotch guard for hats or something? I too fear the possibility of getting caught in a rainstorm and having my near-perfect Raiders hat turn into something that looks more mis-shapen than Bogart's hat in The Treasure of Sierra Madre. Any info would help...thanks!
-GCR

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]