They know Indy in Thailand

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Major Paul from 204.208.30.165 on July 07, 1998 at 03:23:43:

Just got back last night from Thailand. (Man, look at all the forum postings I have to catch up on!) If you ever wanted to know if Indiana Jones is a world-wide phenomena, let me remove all doubt. It's the monsoon season so I was wearing my fedora and Wested jacket when I got off the plane in Bangkok. As the Thai flight crew bid goodbye, one of them said, "You rook rike Indian Jones".

Later, when I made my way up to the mountain region near the Burmese border I ditched the jacket because of the continuous rain and heat. Most of the time I just wore my hat, a khaki shirt and some olive drab shorts (unless riding an elephant, then I wore trousers). But every now and then, you'd pass someone on a trail or back road and a Thai would smile, wave, point to the hat and say, "Ah, Indiana Jones!"

By the way, if anyone is contemplating Thailand for a vacation, do it. I really loved northern Thailand. Big green, jungle mountains; centuries old, Buddhist temples; elephants; the Hmong, Meo, and Karen hill tribes; and the occasional Burmese bandits keep things plenty interesting! Bangkok was OK but it's much more modern than I was expecting and, like a lot of big cities around the world, the pollution was pretty nasty. -MP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]