Re: Atlantis

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from sdn-ar-4vannewP317.dialsprint.net on March 31, 2000 at 07:54:43:

In Reply to: Atlantis posted by Echoes on March 31, 2000 at 03:59:57:

Hey. Man, you've got some pretty smooth ideas for an Indy story there. I agree 100%; the early fifties would produce some great Indy action. And since the Soviets were officially atheists, the object they're after should be non-religious. Also, I think I'd like to see Indy roll his eyes when someone mentions Atlantis again.
-graml

: Reasons why just thinking about this theme sends chills up and down my spine:

: I - Indy currently looks perfect to play the era in which this story could unfold beautifully. If set in the 50s, the Soviets would be the perfect enemy. There is so much mystery about Atlantis(did it exist?), the intrigue of what technology they might have had(whether true or not, will we ever know?), what destroyed its people and their continent. The fact that whatever ideas may have risen from the 50s and 60s are still shrouded with mystery today. A lot like the existence of the Ark, and it's whereabouts over the ages. And though I know Indy is all fiction, it is great to sit in a movie theater and experience something that makes you forget. That it seems so real you almost catch yourself months and years afterwards saying, "Yeah, Atlantis... Indy found it, and saved us from the same fate of its destruction" etc. etc... even though Atlantis might have not even existed. Regardless, it would just make for a great theme for Indy.

: Examples off the top of my head:
: a. Soviets - Trying to gain an upper hand on global power and dominance. Looking for anything they can to help them in the spread of communism, and an equalizer or surpass of the United States, sends their scientists and archeologist in the military around the world looking for certain items much like the Nazis, etc... and I'm sure, America too. And so the lead is on an artifact that was so beautiful, yet so powerful, it destroyed an entire continent. Indy and his father begin their quest at the mercy of the CIA. The story unfolds....
: b. Sean - His Christian faith is always seeking to find his identity in a historical manner. To find and prove what is to fulfill his passion, to almost prove his own faith. The artifact could even be set in a link to God, something unknown and lost almost for eternity, only to be discovered by him in some ground breaking discovery of it's existence. Sean finds out first, but a leak to the Soviets gets back to the CIA. It's all a huge mess; you know how comes to the rescue.

: II - "And no-one showed us to the land, and no-one knows the where or whys, but something stirs and something tries, and starts to climb towards the light!"
: Where ever the Atlantis ruins are today, there are things unexplained that would exist there. Possibly not only the undexplained and explained, but spirits, ghosts from the past ... maybe even evil. Not only would Indy be fighting in a race against the Soviets, but he would be entering a lost world, not touched since nearly at the dawn of time. The things that he and whoever is with him would encounter would be unlike what we've saw in any Indy film before. The entrance to this lost world let's say might be an undiscovered deep underwater cavern leading to a whole great open space possibly even miles wide full of the remains of Atlantis, it's buildings, it's culture... lost souls... good.. evil... something might even be there of which would be almost indescribable. An whole adventure Indy must face before finding the artifact. Not only defeating the Soviets ... (or would he?) ... maybe having to defeat the evil that lurks there. I don't know, I'm not writing this script. Thought it probably sounds like I am. I just have ideas. ;P

: III - I think this would be a great genre for every fan of Indy to get excited about. Something with so much interest and mystery that even Harrison and the people involved in making the film would be entertained with loads of fun. Something that could be done quite professional but full of play. The theme could have so many loose ends, such a wide open subject, there's no limitations to what Spielberg and Lucas could create. And I'm sure whatever impute Harrison would have in this would be marvelous. Ok, I'm mouthing off here about something that might not even come to be. But damn, isn't it a great theme!? It gets me quite excited thinking about the adventure that could be created for Indy and his friends. Maybe unlike any Indy adventure ever written!

: IV - Whatever the theme or story that's made for the next Indy IV. I sure hope it's capable of being made into a movie that can do justice to Harrison, Sean and the so many fans who have waited so very long to see a movie that would become an instant epic. Indiana Jones deserves no less. If not, why even waste the time.... IN OTHER WORDS... Lucas, Spielberg, make a GREAT one! Don't just it to please the desire from everyone to see another Indy IV. Devote your creativity to make it, in your opinion, a... "Man, that was awesome!" kind of movie.

: Thank you,
: A huge fan!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: