Re: They know Indy in Thailand

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Roy from ws-209-78-118-170.lyonlyon.com on July 07, 1998 at 09:57:33:

In Reply to: They know Indy in Thailand posted by Major Paul on July 07, 1998 at 03:23:43:

: Just got back last night from Thailand. (Man, look at all the forum postings I have to catch up on!) If you ever wanted to know if Indiana Jones is a world-wide phenomena, let me remove all doubt. It's the monsoon season so I was wearing my fedora and Wested jacket when I got off the plane in Bangkok. As the Thai flight crew bid goodbye, one of them said, "You rook rike Indian Jones".

: Later, when I made my way up to the mountain region near the Burmese border I ditched the jacket because of the continuous rain and heat. Most of the time I just wore my hat, a khaki shirt and some olive drab shorts (unless riding an elephant, then I wore trousers). But every now and then, you'd pass someone on a trail or back road and a Thai would smile, wave, point to the hat and say, "Ah, Indiana Jones!"

: By the way, if anyone is contemplating Thailand for a vacation, do it. I really loved northern Thailand. Big green, jungle mountains; centuries old, Buddhist temples; elephants; the Hmong, Meo, and Karen hill tribes; and the occasional Burmese bandits keep things plenty interesting! Bangkok was OK but it's much more modern than I was expecting and, like a lot of big cities around the world, the pollution was pretty nasty. -MP

That's a pretty cool account of your travels, MP. I just saw a news special on Thailand a few days ago and was also impressed by how modern Bangkok was. Tell us more about these Burmese bandits! Did you have the urge to enter any of the places you weren't allowed to?
When I was in the Navy, my ship went to the island of Okinawa just south of Japan. While walking along the beach (I could swear the water was pool blue), I noticed signs near the cliff-side hills that said "Sacred burial caves. Do not enter." There was no one around and no chain or door to stop me. I was THIS close to wandering inside when I realized I had no flashlight on me (shame on me, I know), and I suddenly remembered reading somewhere that one of the worlds most poisonous snakes lives on Okinawa. Why did it have to be snakes?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]