Re: Bud-Arc's Lament

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mlgm from icache-3.doit.wisc.edu on April 01, 2000 at 01:03:50:

In Reply to: Bud-Arc's Lament posted by bud-arc on March 31, 2000 at 15:18:00:

: Exactly. Some other smart asses might say, "well, you must be a Harrison Ford fan, not an Indy fan," but that's just plain stupid.

Honestly, not being a smart ass, but yes I do think you are MORE of a Harrison Ford fan and than an Indy fan. It's not stupid, it's a different opinion. One of the fun things about this forum, is listening to other people's opinion. And when you call people with other opinions wrong and stupid, you tend to abruptly cut off the discussion.

:Obviously, Harrison Ford has BECOME the part of Indiana Jones.

Boy, I think Harrison Ford would be upset to hear that. As an actor, I'm sure he would like to be seen as more than just one role.

:And no other person can match his sly lop-sided grin, his smooth semi-charm, and other characteristics that make Indy Indy.

Those characteristics make Indy, Harrison's Indy. Someone else would add their twist and make the character just as much theirs.
I've seen on stage and screen many fabulous, but incrediably different actors take a crack at Macbeth, Hamlet, and other great roles.
Just because I've see a great performance, didn't stop me from seeking out others. In fact, in me, it inspires a desire to see more,
to compare and contrast. I'd like to see Flanery given a chance at a mature Indy, but I think the suggestion in the beginning thread,
Ben Browder, was an inspired one.

:No other actor can play Indy, or there might as well not be another Indiana Jones.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, respectfully I hope.

:Besides which, many will argue that there are too many Indy actors out there that have played him in the past, and all these combined are getting a bit confusing.

I manage to keep them straight, and I'm sure most people do too. Compare and contrast is one of the great joys of drama criticism, both professional and amatuer.

:Not to say that James Bond isn't that kind of movie, for some reason, it works great with that genre. But another whip-slinging, gun-wielding, hat-tipping,
leather jacket-wearing archaeologist professor is just plain silly. END

Actually all drama is that 'genre". From before the ancient Greeks, back to tribal dances, the play was thing, the role was what was important.
Not the person behind the mask. So its not silly to many of us. I love Harrison's Indy, but I look forward to the day, I can see others wear the hat, and crack the whip.
I'd love to see someone else take a crack at Jim Kirk, or Mr. Spock. Great roles are all the greater for seeing them approached from different angles and different inspirations.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]