Hats, shirts, etc.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from brun-m003-75.netquarters.net on July 07, 1998 at 13:34:25:

I just received my second hat from Herbert Johnson, and despite Mr. Swales assurance that the Petersham ribbon was the genuine article, I believe that he may be confused. The ribbon on the new hat is definitely Petersham and definitely the right color but I cannot believe from comparing it to many photographs of the film hats that the size is correct. It is 1 1/4 inch Petersham, and the stuff I had put on my old hat that I got from Hyman Hendler was 1 1/2 inch, and I think that it is more accurate. Oh well, to each his own. The hat is actually a little nicer than my old one. Mr. Swales did say they went with another felter for their hat bodies, so that might account for it.

On another note, while still waiting to see if I hear anything at all from Mr. Dometakis in London about his Indy shirts, I got a little impatient and I bought some raw fabric and buttons that were pretty close and had a friend of my wife's family make me a copy of the shirt. She is a professional seamstress and constructed the shirt entirely from looking at the many photographs I have of the shirt. I had to let you all know that the shirt came out MARVELOUS! There are a few detail things that she agreed needed to be changed on future attempts, but the shirt is great-right down to the pockets, epaulets, and the front pleats. My next step is to hunt down the proper material. I had this one made from natural muslin, but I know that the real material should be something more polished like a pima cotton (which is what I think the original shirts were made from). This seamstress said she would make me more of the shirts once we found the proper material and buttons. She also said that she would make me the pants, which, she believes, don't look very difficult to make, and judging from the job she did on this shirt (did it one afternoon), I believe she isn't lying about the pants! I will keep you all informed. If she is able to nail down the fabric and work the bugs out of the pattern set she made, she may be willing to make more of them. I can't promise anything though!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]