Re: DVD question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive2uu.dialup.mindspring.com on April 02, 2000 at 13:18:46:

In Reply to: Re: DVD question posted by JuggleEwok on April 01, 2000 at 11:45:20:

: : Okay, so this isn't Indy related (please don't kill me), but you all seem to know about DVD.

: : Question is, what is DVD like on a normal, non-widescreen television (about 28")?

: : I've got DVD on my computer, and it looks real good. Televisions have lower resolutions than monitors though and was wondering if it looses the quality.

: : PS. Indy is good.

: DVD is great. It looks spectacular on televisions, much better than VHS. That's why we all want Indy on DVD.

Yes, no matter what display you have, DVD gives you essentially the maximum possible picture quality as far as ordinary (analog, standard definition) television signals go. It goes even a little further than that since DVDs that originated on film are recorded in progressive scan. (Progressive scan is like a computer monitor- all of the video display lines are scanned in order, while Interlaced is like your regular TV, with odd lines scanned first, then the even ones, for example). If you have digital TV, you can use a "line doubler" (some TVs have these built in) to convert the interlaced signal to a progressive scan signal. There are even progressive scan output DVD players, which when mated to a HDTV or TV which can display a progressive signal, will give you a sharper picture with less flicker(sort of halfway to High-Def- DVD's are NOT Hi-Def Quality). The only drawback may be, that if you have a small TV, you may not like the letterboxing since it shrinks the viewable area, although some DVDs offer both letterbox and pan&scan.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: