Re: Belts

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on July 07, 1998 at 14:18:58:

In Reply to: Re: Belts posted by Max Schulte on July 07, 1998 at 13:19:46:

: : Hey guys,

: : I've been stumped for ages on where to get the Temple of Doom leather
: : belt. Any suggestions? Also, visited the awesome Indy Diggs site
: : but couldn't seem to get the info on the belts or holsters. What's
: : up?

: : Andrea

: As far as I know there weren't any changes in Indy's leather
: 'equiptment' belt. The belt is basically of a very simple design
: with a standard brass buckle. If you don't find the belt in the
: stores you should try and go to a shoe repair shop or a saddlery
: nearby. I'm sure they can make you a exact replica of it (expecially
: if you show them a picture of the belt) for not much money. Many
: Indy fans had made their whip holder, leather strap for shoulder bag
: or even the gun holster made at such stores. Just keep your eyes open
: and I'm sure you'll soon have a nice belt.
: By the way, the Belt FAQ is just being written as well as pants/shirt
: and Alden Boot FAQ.

: Regards,
: -Max

I just want to add my two cents. The leather belts used in the film, like everything else, went through some modification. In Raiders and TOD, the belt is a very dark brown (similiar to the jacket) with a simple rounded silver buckle. In LC the belt also has a rounded buckle (though some publicity photos show a square buckle) but the color is a lighter brown than the other films. A couple of weeks ago I found a belt that looks just like the one from the first two films at Ross' Department store for only ten dollars. It's originally from Barneys, a posh men's store in NY City and was marked down from 40$ because of a couple of minor scratches. You have to keep looking around until you find something that you really like-it took me months to find this one. Try department stores, men's speciality clothing stores, flea markets, thrift stores, etc., and you'll eventually find the right belt.

As for the web belt used to hold up the trousers, the belts are brown in Raiders and TOD and tan, not khaki, in LC. I have both a tan and khaki belt and tan is definitely the correct color. Both tan and brown belts are very hard to find; I was fortunate to find a tan belt at a local surplus store, but I wasn't able to locate any brown. Again, you just need to keep checking out military surplus stores to find what you want.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]