Atlantis, Communists and Henry Jones Sr.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from gatekeeper.astra.com on April 03, 2000 at 12:13:21:

Hey,

I've been reading a lot about Indy finding Atlantis in Indy IV. I don't think it's going to happen, but who knows. I've also read a lot of people saying that it will contradict the comic book - so what? The Indy comics were okay - nothing more or less. I enjoyed some issues of the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones from Marvel than I did many of the Dark Horse comics. They didn't sell that well and they many people who would undoubtadly go to see Indy IV wouldn't know anything about The Fate of Atlantis. Also, it needn't contradict the comic. If Atlantis did exist it would not necessarily be in the form we've come to think of due to Plato's Timeaus and Critias dialogues. Most civilisations expand and explore. Atlantis would have had more than one city. Indy could be on the search for another city of Atlantis.

Also, I read someone say that the film should be set in the 1930's - okay, but not with Harrison. The beauty of the Indy films is that they have a whole load of time to play with. Roger Moore in his last two Bond films was ridiculous as he was way too old and nothing was made of it. If Indy IV is set in the 1930's then get someone new - as someone said below the character and the story's the thing. If the film's set in the 1950's then that would facilitate an acceptable appearence for Harrison Ford.

Also, someone said use the Nazis not the Communists - why?

Apart from one brief scene in Last Crusade (The Nazi Rally) the villains were optional rentathugs who wore Nazi uniforms. Indy films don't deal with politics but with a certain style and ambience. Goons in Russian greatcoats would look every bit as acceptable as goons in Nazi uniforms, or Thuggee robes.

I don't want Indy IV to be swallowed up in it's own back history - and much as I love Sallah as a character he doesn't necessarily need to be in the 4th movie, the same goes for Henry Jones Jr, and Marion etc. etc. Indy must have other contacts in the world for goodness sakes. I've said this before - the biggest problem that any franchise can have is catering purely for the die hard fans because let's face it if everyone of us who has ever posted here went to see Indy IV ten times each it's not going to make a profit. The Last Crusade was eleven years ago and there are many cinema goers who don't have that long a memory.

If I were to impose terms and conditions on Indy IV they would be

Freshness
Good Writing
Approprioate Humour
Taut action sequences.

Just a few thoughts.

Seeya

Hannibal

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail: