Re: The Burmese Bandits

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Major Paul from 204.208.30.165 on July 08, 1998 at 02:45:57:

In Reply to: Re: They know Indy in Thailand posted by Rob Roy on July 07, 1998 at 09:57:33:

: That's a pretty cool account of your travels, MP. I just saw a news special on Thailand a few days ago and was also impressed by how modern Bangkok was. Tell us more about these Burmese bandits! Did you have the urge to enter any of the places you weren't allowed to?
: When I was in the Navy, my ship went to the island of Okinawa just south of Japan. While walking along the beach (I could swear the water was pool blue), I noticed signs near the cliff-side hills that said "Sacred burial caves. Do not enter." There was no one around and no chain or door to stop me. I was THIS close to wandering inside when I realized I had no flashlight on me (shame on me, I know), and I suddenly remembered reading somewhere that one of the worlds most poisonous snakes lives on Okinawa. Why did it have to be snakes?

: Well, Chiang Mai was where I was at and that was just under 200 kilometers (about 150 miles) from Burma (or Myanmar as they call it now). That's the edge of the notorious "Golden Triangle" where Thailand, Burma, and Laos bump into each other. It's also where the opium poppies are grown for the world-wide heroin market. Every year at list one visitor trekking around the borders get way-laid by bandits for their money and valuables. Last year and American was killed out there in the jungles. It's wild like that but I never had any troubles and the Thais were really friendly up there. Plus, during the poppy harvesting season, Thai Army Rangers are out in force hunting these bandits down. All in all, it adds a little excitement to the area. As far as snakes go, I heard Okinawa was lousy with them. I didn't see any myself but the cobra rules in Thailand. "Asps, very bad. You go first!" -MP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]