Posted by walker from 22.214.171.124 on July 08, 1998 at 05:11:06:
In Reply to: Re: More crap indeed! posted by Mack on July 07, 1998 at 17:48:06:
Although I've only recently contributed to the Forum Novel, I must say I really didn't expect Mack would like it when he got back. Did anyone else? Seriously?
A couple points addressed:
1) Mack, you're hoping for a more coherent plot. In the last couple of chapters, Aaron, Toht and I addressed and resolved 6 previously unanswered loose ends in order to do just that. I've been keeping track by diagramming the plot. We have about 3 or 4 more to wrap up, so I don't think we're doing too badly.
2) I wrote out the missionary bit because no one was following up on it. Talk about dropping in a plot point and expecting the next writer to follow it.... (I believe your exact words were "the next writer takes (the story) up and expects THAT plot to be followed.")
I thought we could at least address it rather than ignoring it by referring to it as an example of how the Destroyers encourage false legends to throw people off the trail. Another loose end tied up.
3) You say that people develop their only storylines and expect people to follow them. Where interesting for the story I think people have. Aaron and Toht picked up the whole torture bit of Clarence right away, I adjusted my chapter to include Toht's references, and then wrote the whole bit about England based on the reference left for me by the previous writer. That's cooperative storytelling.
4) The introduction of the Communists doesn't make sense yet only because it hasn't been elaborated upon.
5) The plot is not "destroyed." You just don't like it. There is a very simple solution to this, which was suggested at the beginning of this endeavor. Figure out where you think the novel went astray and write your own alternate chapter. People will either jump on board your version or you can finish it yourself. Everybody wins.
Hope your trip went well.
Post a Followup: