Does anyone else just not want to see an Indy 4?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin Q. Blank from 209-122-231-101.s101.tnt4.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com on April 07, 2000 at 08:58:41:

Don't get me wrong. 'Raiders' is my favorite film. I love the 'Indy' movies in general. (though I have to say 'Crusade' was pretty weak in spots)

But, I think the last shots of 'Crusade' with our heroes riding off into the sunset was the perfect way to go out. Anything after that is going to seem like:

(a) an addendum
(b) something done to please the fans, not necessarily because the movie itself should be made
(c) inevitably disappointing after all these years because the anticipation is going to be insane

Except for the 'Alien' series which I happen to enjoy in full...historically, movie series just get bad after #3. An 'Indy 4' could really be sad. It could be all about trying to recapture former glory...when Lucas/Spielberg/Ford were all still young...when we all were still young. I mean, 'Indy 4' could turn out to be a really expensive bit of '80s nostalgia.

Some other reasons not to do it:

- Ford is a bit long in the tooth for this kind of stuff anymore, as has been pointed out a lot here; but at the same time, replacing him would be weak

- Think of the potential for hella-lame CGI effects (though I have to say Spielberg uses them a hell of a lot better than Lucas) (speaking of which, if 'Raiders' gets re-released in 2001 for its 20th anniversary with new beefed-up CGI phantoms emerging from the Ark or something lame like that, I'll personally go to Skywalker Ranch and kick Lucas' fat butt)

- Spielberg is beyond this now, even if Lucas isn't. Spielberg made 'Schindler's List.' Lucas made 'Radioland Murders.' Yeah, there was the 'JP' films, but I think Spielberg should bag that too and start looking for ways to age gracefully.

- Respect for the previous three movies. Leave well enough alone. As far as movies go, the story has been told.

Bottom line, I think the Indy fans need to be content with the novels, games, fanfic, and whatnot that keep Indy alive. Because I have a feeling (a "bad feeling") that an 'Indy 4', if made, will turn out to be and come to be seen as an unnecessary sequel unworthy of the great movies that made us Indy fans in the first place. People will say 'They really should have left well enough alone.' Of course other fans will insist it's the greatest thing since sliced bread -- God knows the level of fanboy denial surrounding the insipid waste of celluloid known as 'Phantom Menace' was astronomical.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]