[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from brun-m001-39.netquarters.net on July 08, 1998 at 07:12:04:

In Reply to: Re: Shirts & Belts posted by Andrea on July 07, 1998 at 14:15:44:

: Max-
: Thanks for the info! Greg, I'm waiting for Dometakis too. However, let
: me impart some info about the shirts. Indeed they are %100 Pima
: Cotton. As for color, they ranged from gray to khaki. When shooting
: they usually had a variety of shades in order to compensate for
: the lighting set up. Apparently, on the set, they had a box filled with different colors. The most efficient thing to do would have been to light the set up according to the stand-in and then ask Ford to change his shirt if necessary. This could also explain why his shirt and pants often seem to vary from shot to shot and from film to film, even though they are relatively uniform, style-wise. Well, so much for continuity on a micro level.

: As for the pants, they are constructed of %100 Whipcord Cotton (I'll need to double check on this one as my notes are back home). It's got a button fly and hook clasp. Again, the color varies a bit on these for probably the same reasons outlined above. Just as soon as I can, I'll double check on all this info (more than likely a solid year of film pre- through post-production has eroded my memory)! Nevertheless, the general Raiders color is Gray.

: I'm getting fed up with the wait for Dometakis, frankly. He'll probably take 3 months to get back to me, only to say no. And I've come across some folk who had to wait better than a year--and this was some time ago. So I'm thinking of just getting one made.

: Greg, you did the right thing. Incidentally, to save some time, what make of buttons did you have your seamstress use? Thanx!

: Regards, Andrea

Well, the buttons we used were made by a company called "Le Bouton" Buttons, a subsidiary of Blumenthal Lansing Co. out of Lansing, Iowa, but they can be obtained at Walmart of all places. The color was beige and the number was 3600. It bears the closest resemblance of any button I could find to the ones used in the films, but is definitely not the right color. The ones in the films looked somewhere between a gray and tan-like a taupe. Where did you find your info about the variance in shirt colors? It sounds reasonable because of the differences when comparing photos, but I am just curious. Also, I have been told, and my seanstress friend confirmed by examining photos (she is very good) that because of the drape of the material, the pants were a 100% Cavalry Twill Worsted Wool, not a cotton at all. I'd be interested in knowing where you heard about the Whipcord cotton. I'd like to check it out before I go any further. Thanks a lot.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]