The jeep going off the cliff was perfect, even for now

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cup Of Christ from spider-tj044.proxy.aol.com on April 07, 2000 at 20:22:33:

In Reply to: There ya go posted by Martin Q. Blank on April 07, 2000 at 12:31:07:

: I wholeheartedly endorse a re-release of the Indy trilogy in theaters.

: But on one condition. NO CGI MEDDLING.

: Granted, I won't mind if Spielberg wants to go in and retouch a couple of things like the Germans' jeep flying off the cliff in 'Raiders' to make it look a bit more fluid and realistic. (But still, for 1981, that was a pretty damn good effect. And today they would just have CGI Thuggees falling off the cliff in 'Temple' instead of those animatronic dummies. Personally I prefer the dummies.)

: But it would be entirely cheesy if, say, the Toht meltdown sequence were expanded so that we not only saw his melting face but the skull underneath with a clacking jaw or something. Like, picture last year's 'Mummy' remake. (Which was kinda fun. Kind of a default 'Indy' movie actually, though not nearly up to the 'Indy' standard, at least a decent retro adventure in that mold.) CGI belongs in 'The Mummy' but not in 'Indy.'

: I would like to see the trilogy at least one final time on the big rectangle with beefy sound. I caught all three at the Wang in Boston in '94 (I think), and that was a cool experience -- the first time I'd been in a theater where every name in the credits was either applauded or hissed (everyone hissed the actors playing bad guys; Denholm Elliott got a big respectful round of applause which I thought was nice). John Rhys-Davies was there with a snake. First appearance of Indy in 'Raiders,' stepping out of the shadows after dealing with Barranca, everyone went nuts. But the sound wasn't that great and the print quality, predictably, was pretty bad for 'Raiders', okay for 'Temple', and pretty good for 'Crusade'. It'd be cool to have the movies be completely remastered, released in theaters say January 2001, then have them come out on DVD...well...fifty years after we're all dead of old age, considering what's happening with the 'Star Wars' flicks. (Does anyone know if the widescreen 'Indy' tapes are remastered or just taken from the same prints as the laserdiscs?)

: Oh, and just for the record: old topic, but I personally think the video retitling of 'Raiders', not to mention the corporate thinking behind it, is totally weak. It won't stop me from buying the DVD when it comes out sometime in the 22nd century, but I'll probably have to avert my eyes when the new longer stupid title comes onscreen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]