Re: The flying wing

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from mariner.org on April 12, 2000 at 11:39:25:

In Reply to: Re: The flying wing posted by New Jersey Hughes on April 12, 2000 at 11:24:18:

Hey, thanks for creating the word "knuckle sandwichpoint". I've got to start using that! Anyhow, I dig your little "what if" scenario. The Wing surely wouldn't have enough fuel to reach England, right? So Indy gets the pilot to attempt a landing at British held Gibraltar. With me so far? Well, the Wing isn't all its cracked up to be, and they end up with a belly landing somewhere in Spain. Luckily, Indy can make contact with his old buddy Ernest "Papa" Hemmingway, who happens to be fighting in the Spanish Civil War with the Abraham Lincoln battalion. Long story (or long post, I suppose) short, Franco's goons stumble upon the Nationalist forces trying to spirit away the Ark, and take it themselves. So instead of people all across Europe being afraid of having to speak German after the eventual world war, they worry they might all be speaking Spanish! I'd like to see the look on Hitler's face when he's forced to sign a treaty with Spain. Hell, I'd like to see Chamberlain's face when he's forced to sign a treaty with Spain. Sorry for going on so long. Things happen to be a little slow around the office today...
-graml

: Rationalization is fun! How about this: the Flying Wing was an experimental Nazi prototype, and was in Northern Africa for trials to make sure it could 'take the heat' of Hitler's eventual Desert Campaign. It was the closest German aircraft available, and therefore got nominated by Deitrich to fly the Ark back. Add to this Abner's theory about a bomb-bay door (which I agree with; there appears to be JUST enough area in the body of the Wing for an Ark-sized crate), and the Flying Wing becomes your pre-war UPS truck.

: Someone mentioned earlier about what Indy's plan was, since he can't fly a plane. Since TOD takes place before RAIDERS, maybe we can assume Indy racked up some flying experience in the year between the two films events. I think it more feasible to assume that he was just planning to force the pilot (At gunpoint? At knuckle-sandwichpoint, then?) to go where they needed to. Imagine THAT scenario! The Nazis discover the Ark-laden Wing has been hijacked, and dispatch the Aces of the Luftwaffe to get it back...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]