Hat rant! ;-)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on April 14, 2000 at 00:21:08:

Just feel like a rant tonight! (Positive rant, that is! ;-))

I have to say that the unabashed Indiana Miller makes a fantastic TOD and LC hat! The high crown which is key to this, along with a soft pinch, can only be achieved with a gentle hand on an unabashed hat.

If you want the sharp ROTLA pinch, then the pre-formed Miller should do you.

I like what I've read about the Lock hat too, and I'll probably get one of those, and I'll buy one of Gary's (Custom Hatter) models as soon as I get a weekend to drive from Boston to Rochester.

One thing that interests me -- in watching all the movies back-to-back-to-back, I don't think the brim exceeds 2-1/2 inches on the side except maybe in the early "Donovan" scenes of LC. I think 2-5/8 may be on the high side in nearly all scenes and 2-3/4 seems too big based on close review of all three films. (And interestingly, in LC, which features what I assess to be the widest brim hats, there are tank/desert scenes that look almost only 2-1/4" to me).

What do you all think?

FWIW, I will be ordering an HJ, now that people are receiving theirs, but I wear my Miller hats every day and by the time an HJ reaches me, I'll have at least 5 Millers. That says something! By next month, I ought to have at least 7 hats from B. Miller's company. They're pretty friendly folks and their *only* flaw, in my experience, has been an uncanny ability to ship my a hat with a brim size I'd requested (*all* have shown up 2-3/4, when I've asked for 2-1/2 and one 2-5/8) but scissors can subtract whereas you can't add to a brim too small!

Guess you've figured by now, I'm a hat fan, eh? :-)

I also plan to order a Stetson Nostalgia to see how it fits and compares and a Stetston Indy (since I want a darker hat), so I'll post how those are when I get them.

As a total aside, I've purchased the "30's" shirt from J. Peterman

http://auction1.jpeterman.com/ItemDetail.asp?id=39

and while it's no replica, if you like the 30's style of adventure shirt, it's very well made and worth the reasonable $50! Especially as an everyday wear item. I'd prize some Noel Howard and shirts enough to want to hold them for special occasions. The J. Peterman (and also LL Bean as recently updated in IndyGear) are good for daily wear duty! Not that Noel's gear wouldn't be, but that's *special* stuff in my book! :-)

Sorry to ramble! Wish I could be babbling about Indy IV, but until *they* collective get their heads together, shootin' the breeze over Indy gear is fine with me! :-)

// mf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]