Re: Reasons Indy should never be released on DVD

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rocky from HRBGA010-1054.splitrock.net on April 15, 2000 at 10:58:41:

In Reply to: Reasons Indy should never be released on DVD posted by Montana Ted on April 15, 2000 at 09:18:49:

Everything Riggs said is true.

1) With the advent of THX, the Indy films would look spectacular in
DVD. A movie won't transfer properly to DVD simply because it's old.
The Disney classics, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, are just some examples of this. They look phenomenal on DVD.

2)The number of people who own DVD players today is growing almost exponentially. We passed the 6 million mark just a couple of weeks ago, and that's with DVD still in it's third year. The growth of DVD has surpassed every medium to date, including VHS. As a matter of fact, it has been reported that projection of DVD sales will surpass VHS within the next two to three years. And like Riggs said, that doesn't even include computer sales.

3) I know you're joking about this one. VHS is nowhere near the quality of DVD. VHS puts out around 240 lines of resolution to your TV, (which by the way will be digital in the next 5 years) DVD's put around 500 lines of resolution out. Over twice as many. That, of course, means a much sharper picture.

4)I can't argue that point. All medium will be replaced by a superior format eventually. That's the nature of electronics. But even the CD player has been around for 20 years. I wouldn't mind enoying The Indy trilogy for the next 20 years on DVD until another medium takes over.

5)Definately can't argue this point. The big three of Indy don't need the money. But the point is not getting them more money, the point is getting my favorite movie to me in my favorite format.

Now I know you said these things to goad on DVD fans. But it was fun responding just the same. So tell the truth, how many DVD's do you own?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]