Re: Poll: Which is your favourite Indy movie?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0649.cvx19-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on April 16, 2000 at 17:34:05:

In Reply to: Poll: Which is your favourite Indy movie? posted by Henry Jones on April 16, 2000 at 13:37:28:

Well, Raiders comes in number one on my list. I have to consider the effect the movie had on me, when I first saw it in '81. For me it was the best action /adventure film I had ever seen. I loved the dark, moody look [the Ravenwood Bar scene is one of my all time favorites!], and Indy himself was a flawed charachter, an opportunistic tombraider [no pun intended]. Indy never was a simple "flat" super hero.

TOD comes in second, because it is THE rollercoaster ride. Its darkness often borders the ridiculous, but heck, it's already cartoonish, and great fun. Also the movie shows evolution in Indy's motivation [That of course is inconsistent with the fact that TOD is set before Raiders, but it still makes sense when watching the movies in the order they were released]. In the opening sequence he is still opportunistic [Nurhachi deal! taking a hostage]. But he can be totally selfless when fighting for his friends and when he saves the children. He even returns[!]the Sankara stones to the rightful owners. I believe in Raiders he would have bagged those babies!

Crusade does not really develop Indy's character further. Crusade seems a bit inconsistent with the previous movies. Especially Sallah and Marcus have become comic relief characters [do I smell Lucas's influence there? Do I smell JarJar?]. Although this movie comes in third, I still enjoy it a lot. Especially because of the father/son relationship, which was quite a revelation! Fall Guy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]