PG-13 Rating for IJTOD

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michele from chop-verio.jvnc.net on April 17, 2000 at 11:02:57:

I hope someone out there can help me. I tried posting it elsewhere but I haven't gotten an answer. I am trying to find out which movie was THE FIRST to be rated PG-13. I say it was "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". A friend of mine says it was "Red Dawn".

Here is a little snipet from an article I found on-line explaining the different ratings which was, in turn, taken from the Motion Picture Association of America Home Page which I can't connect into!!! "No Children Under 17 Admitted" movie rating created by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) in 1990 was prompted by an unsuccessful Miramax lawsuit over the X given Pedro Almodovar's art film "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" Although MPAA president Jack Valenti insisted at the time that the new childproof rating was a guideline, not a stigma, many theater chains refused to show NC-17 or unrated movies. Consequently the first NC-17 movie, "Henry and June" (1990), remained for years the only major studio release ever to bear the rating. The preceding reform, PG-13, was introduced in 1984 after parent groups complained about a beating heart ripped from a man's chest in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

I know that IJTOD opened with a PG rating because I have the original movie poster that says PG. Was it immediately changed while still in its initial release in 1984 or was it changed after "Red Dawn" opened? Did RD open with a PG-13 rating or was it also changed during its initial release?

Any insights into this quandry would be helpful! Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]