Why not Selleck?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Northwest Smith from 208.229.128.117 on April 18, 2000 at 03:44:21:

In my humble opinion, Tom Selleck would have made a great Indiana Jones. At the time Raiders was being cast, I don't think Magnum, P.I. was even on the air yet. He could have played both the the adventuring, brawling hero and the intelligent, knowledgeable archaeology professor. I disagree with those who say that he would have played Indiana Jones with that looking-into-the-camera, Bugs-Bunny-eyebrow-lifting crap. He would have played it like Harrison Ford did: the way Stephen Spielberg asked (told) him to. I think that those who like to bash Selleck's ability to play Indiana Jones might be forgetting about his ability to play a character with dignity. Remember Quigley Down Under? Even on Magnum, P.I. there were quite a few episodes devoid of stagey, fakey, vaudevillean mugging the camera when Magnum was presented as a dangerous operator, one bad mo-fo. Besides, plenty of men in the Thirties wore moustches, and I've seen pictures of Selleck without it. Believe me, it's much better he wear one.
Remember, Selleck was Lucas and Spielbergs' FIRST CHOICE.
But this is all sound and fury signifying nothing. Ford played our favorite archaeology professor and that's the reality we've got.
I hope my opinions lead others to think; I'm not trying to hack anybody off.
Regards to all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]