Sort of like Brosnan/Bond, perhaps?...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on April 18, 2000 at 15:45:35:

In Reply to: Re: Why not Selleck? posted by Michaelson on April 18, 2000 at 12:20:41:

: The reason Selleck was not able to do the part originally was because CBS would not let him out of his Magnum PI contract, as it was their top rated show at the time, and so he had to pass on Lucas's offer. That's why I said if CBS were not around to screw up the contract talks in my posting. As to the "looking-into-the-camera" discussion, if you're referring to my posting again, you better go back and re-read my statements. I think you missed my point completely. At the time, 1980, that's ALL he had done for TV, that being Magnum. Before that he was the "Stetson" man for their commercials, and occasionally appeared on soap operas here in the US. He had no previous notable track record, and every part he played was Magnum like in characterization. It wasn't until later in the Magnum series, which was on for several years, that those years of experience before the camera began to age him as an actor with the kind of presence that could handle the different shades of a script character. It was after THAT amount of experience was under his belt that I believe he could have indeed played the part of Indy. Not before, and not at the place he was in 1980. Spielberg even said that Harrison Ford created the Indy character, as Ford did not agree with Spielberg's or Lucas's depiction of Indy. The characterization was totally created in Ford's mind. With Selleck at the stage he is now as an actor, I once again state it would have been interesting if he would have been offered the Indiana Jones part at the level he is now in his craft and see how HE would have created the character. I believe he would have been great. Regards. Michaelson

I remember that Pierce Brosnan was to be the next James Bond right after Roger Moore filmed his last James Bond film, A View to a Kill. Brosnan's NBC series Remington Steele had just been cancelled, and he was raring to go as the next Bond. But NBC killed the deal at the last minute, stating that Brosnan had signed a deal with NBC to make three Remington Steele TV movies (which he did and probably hoped that NBC would have forgotten about that), and thus Timothy Dalton was chosen as the next James Bond instead.

Ironically, NBC made only one Remington Steele TV movie, and then decided not to do any more. This understandably angered Pierce Brosnan a great deal.

In a further bit of irony, though, Pierce Brosnan finally became James Bond after Timothy Dalton stepped away from the role (after two films).

It's weird how things turn out! :)

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: