Indiana Selleck

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from 205.188.198.52 on April 21, 2000 at 21:38:36:

After reading recent posts about this and seeing those pictures, I
did some checking.
In 1980 Selleck had done the pilot of "Magnum P.I., but It couldn't have been a "hit" yet. I can't remember where I read this but there was some kind of writers strike at the time and Selleck actually could have done "Raiders", but they had already settled on Ford by this time.
Selleck had not just done comercials, but had done parts in some 15 films by 1980. "The Sacketts" was done in 1979 . I'll bet this is what attracted Spielberg's attention. He also had a recurring role as a P.I. on the "Rockford Files".
True, Selleck was not a great actor at this time, but he was not without experience. The same could be said about Ford. Take away 2 Star Wars movies and what's left?
Ford made Indiana Jones his own. I don't deny that. But he had help. On the AFI tribute to Harrison, who did he give the biggest hug? Lucas or Spielberg? Spielberg; the man who gave him his breakthrough role, Indiana Jones, and made him a star. It could have been Tom Selleck. I would love to see the episode where Magnum spoofs
Indy.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Cheers
Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: