Info on Bullfinch

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from mariner.org on April 24, 2000 at 12:08:44:

In Reply to: Re: I suspect most of it was made up. I suggest you run down to your local Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy of Bullfinch's Mythology. (nim) posted by Henry Jones on April 24, 2000 at 11:43:03:

: : You won't be disappointed!

: A copy of what?? sorry, but i've never heard of "Bullfinch's Mythology"
: Is it a book or what?

Hey. I'm always glad to turn somebody else on to old man Bullfinch. Thomas Bullfinch was this guy back in the 1820s who diligently copied down the myths of a whole bunch of cultures. He gives the stories (unfortunately in 19th century-style prose or their original poetic verse) of Greek, Norse, Roman and Hindu heroes. He also chronicles Robin Hood (the first retelling of the originals since the 1400s!), King Arthur, Merlin, in short, the whole magilla. Its a hefty book to say the least, and a good copy can run about fifty bucks. But believe me, if you've got a thing for myths and legends it is the work to read! In the King Arthur section, he retells the grail legend. There's also a section on Welsh mythology. I figure most Indyfans would enjoy it.
-graml
PS In no way do I represent Thomas Bullfinch or his estate. My lawyer Christopher "Snugglecakes" Daniels will answer all legal questions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]