A little history lesson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on April 24, 2000 at 14:23:00:

In Reply to: Worst scene in the Indy Jones films posted by Pearless Pearl on April 23, 2000 at 16:38:09:

The poster's name and registered IP address don't match. This post is probably the work of an impersonator, take it with a grain of salt:

: By far the worst scene in the Indy trilogy is when Indy pulls out his gun and shoots that poor guy with the long-bladed sword. That scene made Indy into a cold-blooded, heartless killer. I wish they would do a special edition and change that scene. It destroys the first movie!!!

Actually, this one scene was one of the scenes that made Raiders a favorite in US theaters in 1981. If you'll recall, we were involved in the long hostage crisis in Iran during that time, and it had been dragging on for months. American's were tired of the entire situation, and were hopeful that Reagan would do SOMETHING that Carter hadn't done militarily to end it all, though we all knew that to do so was more than likely a death sentence for the hostages being held in the US embassy, and therefore it was not an action that should be taken. At every viewing I attended of Raiders that summer of 1981, everytime Indy pulled his revolver in that scene, it was met with huge applause and cheers. It was our only way of releasing some of the frustration during that time...Indy was our spokesman. I know it sure doesn't appear all that "PC" in this political climate we currently find ourselves bogged down in, but at the time it help define a moment for us here in the US, in spite of the real reason that the scene was shot the way it was. You can read that in detail below. It probably wouldn't sell today. We're so concerned about not hurting the other fellows feelings that we try to make revisions to history, and by doing so we'll always be subject to repeat those same mistakes previously learned. Don't get me started on THAT soap box. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]