Re: Hat modifications

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from 24.116.26.237 on April 26, 2000 at 01:03:24:

In Reply to: Hat modifications posted by JuggleEwok on April 25, 2000 at 22:06:34:

: Seeing as how I may actually be able to afford it soon, I'm thinking of getting an Indy Miller. But what I'm wondering is, how hard are the modifications to make? The dimensional brim cut, ribbon change etc? Or is it fairly inexpensive to have hat shops do this?

Honestly, cutting the brim down to where it is correct in shape may be harder than at first glimpse. In theory, it seems a simple matter, but in practice it appears less so. I have a fairly good eye, being a cabinet maker, but I have ruined at least 2 hats in the process of learning to do it right. This was early on , of course. Replacing the ribbon, on the other hand, is a pretty straight forward excercise, that is, if you can sew. I don't know what a hat shop would charge to do the alterations, but this would be the way to go if you can find one. If you do decide to tackle the brim, rough cut it an eighth of an inch larger than the size you desire, and then sand it down with course grit sand paper to the desired size. This is time consuming, but almost fool proof. Regards,
Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]