Thanks for the help men.(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-50.col.cableone.net on April 27, 2000 at 00:57:22:

In Reply to: Just coming up for air for a few minutes... posted by Patterson on April 26, 2000 at 20:46:54:

: : Try and raise Patterson, as he is quite the tailor regarding this very fix, and does a very good job too. He can walk you through it. Drop him a line via the IndyGear staff address. Regards. Michaelson

: Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I have performed this alteration - 3 times now?! It is not terribly difficult, but can be a bit unnerving. Here goes...

: The first step is to turn you jacket inside out. On the left sleeve there will be a seam about 8 inches long along the lining where they made the final stitching to close p the jacket. This needs to be carefully removed.

: Once the seam is open, you can then begin pulling (carefully) the inside of the jacket through the opening. Carefully work the parts of the jacket through giving care not to rip the seam. In a minute or two you’ll have the entire thing turned inside out. It’s a good opportunity to see just how well the jacket is put together.

: Next, find the cuffs if the sleeves. Wested secures the cuff with a bit of rubber cement. Carefully pull this apart. You’ll then be able to see where the cuffs have been sewn. Get a good sharp (and very thin) needle and some good heavy thread, and run a new seam about ½ inch above the existing one. Take care to keep the stitches about 1/8 inch apart – any farther will result in a loose seam, while any closer will risk creating a tear in the leather. If you have lambskin, you ought to have no trouble sewing the leather. If you have cowhide, you may want to have some pliers handy to help push and pull the needle through.

: Once you have the new seam in place, you’ll want to fold the cuff back over and glue it about ½ inch higher then it was. I’d recommend using rubber cement. It holds sufficiently and is flexible.

: Carefully pull your jacket back through the seam. Check the cuffs. You ought to be ably to see remnants of the original fold inside the cuff. Work the new fold with your fingers, pinching and manipulating the leather until the cuff is where you want it. Close the seam, and there you are!

: It’s really not that difficult, and you get the fit you want. That’s why I’ve always just added a bit to my sleeve length when ordering. It’s just easier for me to dial it in myself.

: Well, I’m going to dive back into this IPO-thing. It was nice to come up for a quick breath, especially to talk about Westeds!

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: