Re: Hat modifications

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on April 27, 2000 at 20:51:40:

In Reply to: Re: Hat modifications posted by Steve on April 26, 2000 at 01:03:24:

: Honestly, cutting the brim down to where it is correct in shape may be harder than at first glimpse.

I'll second that! My *personal* opinion on brim cutting is to use a pair of SHARP, GOOD scissors, rather than some type of blade. If you don't have sharp good scissors, buy some. They'll be useful for other things later on. Good, doesn't include the plastic handled DuraSharps and the like, but rather a hefty stainless steel pair. They need big be huge, just solid.

I think it is easier to follow the contour with scissors than a blade.

Also, using a pencil to mark reference spots (measured with a tailor's tape) is a very good idea too.

If you go slowly, you'll have a very smooth cut that requires only a little work with some medium-fine sandpaper.

I have 5 Millers that I've tuned myself and I'd never done one before I bought the first.

Patience and planning are your friend. Measure twice, cut once! And remember that you can always trim a little more, but you can't put back, so err on the side of too little, not too much!

// mf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]