BrianK, I just wanted to let you know...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bud-arc from 216-119-34-85.o1.jps.net on April 28, 2000 at 18:14:51:

In Reply to: I don't know... posted by Brian K. on April 28, 2000 at 17:52:36:

...if you ever decide to write a book, I support ya, man! :)

: : I think the landscape of action films has changed greatly since the last Indy film hit theaters. I think films like the Mummy, the Matrix and the Lord of the Rings movies are far superior to any of the Indy films. When Indy 4 comes out (if ever), I think it will be the first Indy film to make less than $ 100 million in the USA. Times have changed and Indy is being left in the dust by new ideas. Does anyone agree/disagree?

: I think your concern is valid, but I think you're looking at it from the wrong POV. The Mummy and the Matrix (IMHO) have not raised the bar for action films, but have raised the bar for visual effects in all films. It's not that the Matrix or the Mummy are "better" or even that their ideas are "new" .. in fact I would argue that they are neither as the idea of the Mummy and his curse is as old as the silent films, and will be forever a classic if for no other reason than Boris Karloff. The core ideas of the Matrix are nothing new, but the presentation is. Men have been thrust into computerized worlds since Tron. The problem ( or potential problem ) is not Indy, but rather people's expectation of an action movie. Effects are the "in" thing today, and with movies becoming ever more digitized with more green screen effects, Indy may not be welcome to the public at large if this is really what they want. There will, of course, be the eventual backlash, and people will flock away from effects laden pictures, and this is what Indy needs, as throwing all kinds of CGI in an Indy movie destroys the low budget serial feel that made Raiders what it was. Indy's not better or worse than the Matrix or the Mummy...let's face it, Indy draws a lot from previous concepts himself...but whether Indy is welcome or not at the theatres depends very much on what the audience is looking for, not how old he is, and Indy's day, if it ever left, will come again...he just has to wait for it. Depending on the quality of the script, I think Indy 4 has the potential to turn the tide himself and make that change happen...proving or disproving what seems to have become the theory in Hollywood that more ( and more expensive ) == Better in the world of effects.

: Regards,
: Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: