Reason Indy IV may turn into a disature(sp)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K. Allard from dial85.insolwwb.net on April 29, 2000 at 00:51:52:

Well the hype may ruin it... for one thing with TPM I never even went to see it in the theature because with every commercial and webpage I turned to I saw TPM... I saw it everywhere, so eventually I was able to figure out the plot and what was happeneing without even seeing it, the internet has ruined certain things to me.... when before there were surprises now theres nothing you know everything about everyone, and some say "well just ignore it that's what I do" well you cant it's impossible also I think with recent things like "The Mummy" and "Wild Wild West" all dealing a long time ago, critics tend to look and say "An Indiana Jones adventure with great special effects" or things as that... then the public see's them and thinks that is how Indy is, if there is never a new mummy and there are no new flops like those maybe in a few years the public will be ready for Dr. Jones... personally I think to get a good attraction would be to have Indy die in the end, for one good reason Harrison is getting old and personally I wouldnt want anyone taking Fords place or ruining the serials, sure 007 went well with a change but who's to say Indy could have a face-lift and look good still, then the adience will also be shocked and surprised, on the other hand people may not like seeing a hero they looked up to die so then again it may not be a good idea to kill him. Maybe they should put it back in the Raiders style with different locals and exciting adventures... But who really knows. Maybe what I was saying about the internet thing I think Micheal Chrichton answered it best here:

I was very interested in the theory you introduced in "Sphere" about the internet being the final straw in the extinction of the human race. I was curious as to what your source was.

Actually, I believe that discussion appears in Lost World. (Sphere was 1987; no Internet yet.) And there is no source except my own perception. As it appears in the book, the idea is exaggerated to make a point, but I do think that there are potential drawbacks to the Internet we are not considering.

And I do think were are entering a period of Everybody-Thinks-The-Same which is sort of creepy. It comes in many aspects, some not immediately apparent. For instance, the universal interest in movie grosses and best-seller lists is disturbing, in that it starts to take people away from the experience itself. I sometimes think that people are only going to see what they know other people are going to see, only reading what they know other people are reading.

Remember, even a few years ago, nobody in the audience paid any attention to grosses, or which movie "took" the weekend. They couldn't have cared less. They just liked the movie, or didn't. Now, everybody is watching the business side.

There are other instances where I find, in the work that I do, the Internet is a pure negative. For example, it used to be possible to test creative work in private, without the pressure of exposing it to the whole world. But now, when you preview a film, there are reviews posted on the Internet by the time you've driven home from the screening. We had that problem constantly with "The 13th Warrior," which is the movie version of "Eaters of the Dead" and is coming out August 13. Fortunately the preview reviews were usually good, but the point is it's inhibiting when you are working on a movie and want to find out what an audience thinks---and yet you must face the fact that it's going to get reviewed all over the Internet.

This is a modest example of the fact that nothing in our society is any longer allowed to germinate, to grow and develop in safety and quiet, without being instantly publicly discussed. And that's stunting. As a species we will eventually suffer. I believe we are starting to suffer already.

What is the solution? There is none.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]