Re: Bullwhip owners

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from piweba5y-ext.prodigy.com on July 13, 1998 at 14:20:43:

In Reply to: Bullwhip owners posted by raider on July 13, 1998 at 11:15:59:

: i'm considering buying a david morgan bullwhip and need some feedback.
: those of you who own one let me ask you a few questions:

: 1. did you buy it to complete the look or to actually use?
: 2. what kind of wear can you expect from moderate use and how long
: can i expect it to last until i have to buy another one or is it
: durable enough where longevity isn't a factor?
: 3. to what extent will wrapping the whip around trees/hanging from
: whip speed wear and tear?

: i've owned a whip before - a nice inexpensive rawhide whip. it wasn't one of those cheap ones without a handle. anyway, i bought it shortly after raiders and through much practice developed a skill in using it. i used it on everything and still have it today. it's frayed in some areas and torn in others. i know the david morgan whip is made of quality leather and can be expected to last at least twice as long. but, for 450 i need to know if it can be expected to have a considerable life span under moderate usage. maybe a whip faq could be helpful. thanks.

I get mine for both reasons, but mostly because I use them. The life of a whip depends on how much its used or how much its abused. Basically with daily use, no abuse and proper care a good Bull whip like David Morgan makes can easily last 20 years or more. Of course over that time the whip may require minor repair like fall replacement. Swinging and hanging will shorten the life of a whip significantly, It causes undue stress on the whip, causing the thong and inside belly to become stretched, altering the taper causing the whip to loose its efficiency. It can also cause the whip to break apart. There is a bullwhip FAQ at http://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/bullwhip.html

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any more questions.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]