Whip Holster Replica

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan from piweba5y-ext.prodigy.com on July 13, 1998 at 14:29:58:

In Reply to: Re: Attention Greg: Whip Holster Replica posted by Greg on July 13, 1998 at 07:02:26:

: : Hi Greg, I have some Information on a local custom leather shop that can make a replica of Indy’s whip holster. After talking with them for a while and showing them photos and diagrams, they were able to created a pretty good prototype. We need to make a few minor changes to it though to make it even better. I don’t have the information handy at the moment, but the company will do mail orders. If your Interested E-mail me, or if anyone else is interested I will post it on the forum.

: : Dan

: Thanks for the info Dan! I haven't gotten around to visiting a local leather crafter near me, so your mail-order solution sounds good. Is it the Borden's Boots and Leather that Max just posted?

: Greg

Greg, Borden’s leather is the place. The total length of the holster, open it is 8 inches long that includes the belt loop. The strap holding the whip the should be 6 inches. Mine was cut about a ½ inch shorter than I wanted it though. It fits the 10ft whips pretty snug, so that extra ½ inch is important. For a 12 ft+ whip you might want to add an inch. Aside from the length problem the only other change that needs to be made is to switch the snaps around so that the open end of the snap on top attaching the belt loop together, and the male snap is on end of the strap.

When it arrives, it is in very new condition. Its made out of dark brown cow hide with metal snap attachment. A little weathering will give you the desired Indy look. The leather will be very stiff at first, so you might want to give it a coat of leather dressing to soften it up, and then work it by hand to loosen the strap so that it is more flexible. Other wise any sharp turn, the weight of the whip turning against the stiff leather will case the snap to pop open.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]