Re: Bullwhip owners

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from brun-m001-35.netquarters.net on July 13, 1998 at 17:41:32:

In Reply to: Bullwhip owners posted by raider on July 13, 1998 at 11:15:59:

: i'm considering buying a david morgan bullwhip and need some feedback.
: those of you who own one let me ask you a few questions:

: 1. did you buy it to complete the look or to actually use?
: 2. what kind of wear can you expect from moderate use and how long
: can i expect it to last until i have to buy another one or is it
: durable enough where longevity isn't a factor?
: 3. to what extent will wrapping the whip around trees/hanging from
: whip speed wear and tear?

: i've owned a whip before - a nice inexpensive rawhide whip. it wasn't one of those cheap ones without a handle. anyway, i bought it shortly after raiders and through much practice developed a skill in using it. i used it on everything and still have it today. it's frayed in some areas and torn in others. i know the david morgan whip is made of quality leather and can be expected to last at least twice as long. but, for 450 i need to know if it can be expected to have a considerable life span under moderate usage. maybe a whip faq could be helpful. thanks.

1. Both. I've actually gotten pretty good at cracking it, with little damage to myself!
2. The DM whip, as others have said, surpassed my expectations and was well-worth the money and wait. It has only gotten better with age and use-and proper maintenance (a regular dosage of the Pecard's Leather Dressing recommended by Mr. Morgan does wonders).
3. I've done some wrapping with the whip around some pretty rough trees and all it does is soften the leather and moderately-wear it, but I haven't hung from it and don't think I will unless I can afford to buy another one to keep one as a "beater" and the other for cracking only.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]