Re: Wested variations

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-198-64-194.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on May 02, 2000 at 10:31:34:

In Reply to: Wested variations posted by Steve on May 02, 2000 at 08:53:10:

: I have read several posts in the past in reference to how the current Wested jackets differ from the ones used in the movies. I am curious as to what variations have been noticed by the folks that own them. I think I have noticed one. The piece of leather used on the back of the jacket, on the top, seems to be larger on the film jacket. Any more? Thanks, Steve

Are you referring to the triangular piece that runs from shoulder to shoulder? If so, I would have to differ with you. The particular size to which Peter cuts that piece of the jacket gives the Wested one of it's singular characteristics - the way the bi-swing pleat flares open with movement. It is one of the biggest give-aways that the jacket in ToD is NOT a Wested. If you are basing your observation on ToD, then you've hit that nail squarely on the head.

The only quality difference I've found between the RotLA and LC jackets used in the movies vs. what you get by default from Peter - and I'm on my third Wested - is limited to the leather facing on the inside of the collar. Another difference is the type of zipper used; they used cheap nickel zippers in the production jackets, which jammed and broke all the time. The jacket you get from Peter uses high quality brass.

Back to the triangular piece across the top of the shoulder. If you like the look of that jacket - which I do as well, though I still prefer the original Wested Raiders - check out the Cooper Indy Jacket. It is the closest thing I've found to the ToD jacket, though I wish Sgt. Hack at US Wings would do something about the oversize cut of that jacket, and was probably the basis for the much talked about French knock-off's used in production. Anyway, the Cooper has the lower shoulder, smaller pockets, and different side strap configuration of the ToD jacket. The only differences in the current offering are, again, the oversize cut of the jacket as well as the zipper, which is on the "right" side for us Yanks!

ALWAYS willing to talk jackets!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: