Re: Ah, my favorite subject (one of mine too! ;-))

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on May 02, 2000 at 21:39:42:

In Reply to: Re: Ah, my favorite subject posted by Vtwin on May 02, 2000 at 00:21:21:

I'll (yet again) suggest the Indy Miller. I've bought 5 (better get crackin', Steve! ;-)) and they are worthy investments, as far as clothing goes. The quality is high, the style sweet, and they should be good for daily wear for years. If you're going to buy a hat, save for a little long and buy one of these. The *only* "problem" IMO, is the brim and I had a quick chat with them about that: the Biltmore/Stetson folks apparently lack the correct equipment to trim a brim into the desired (for Indy purposes) oval -- the brim measurements they quote (2-1/2, 2-5/8, and 2-3/4) are for FRONT brim dimensions. The sides seem to be uniformly about 2-3/4 on all sizes (I've got some of all 3).

They are apparently looking at another manufacturer who has the equipment to shape the more (traditional) oval cut of the brim.

That said, I'd be shocked if you would be disappointed with a Miller whereas I'd suspect you may kick yourself a bit if you find the "licensed" hat to be falling apart or not styled to your suiting -- then you are out that amount PLUS the amount to replace it with a Miller or HJ or Custom Hatter or Lock, not to mention the opportunity cost of not being able to wear it.

If you feel comfortable with the procedure, you can trim the sit brim to the appropriate size (I feel about 2-1/2 is the right look), but even if the cutting scares you, a good rolling up of the sides over a nice steamy kettle will achieve much the same effect.

I probably sound like a broken record (made by the Miller company ;-) but until I get a moment to add an HJ and a Custom Hatter (when I have the chance to visit that shop in person), I continue to recommend this hat.

For the record, back when I was 10 or 11 or so, around the time of ROTLA, I actually owned one of the "licensed" teardroppy yuck felt hats. Even at that tender age I was disappointed and was super-pleased to replace with a period Stetson when the opportunity presented itself.

YAME ... = Yet Another Miller Endorsement! ;-)

// mf

P.S., I should scrounge up a digital camera and post a shot of the black Indy Miller -- SOOO sharp with a suit and/or dark overcoat. Have mentioned that before? :^)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]