Re: Getting a whip to stay in the holster...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from brun-m001-43.netquarters.net on July 14, 1998 at 10:40:06:

In Reply to: Getting a whip to stay in the holster... posted by IJFan on July 14, 1998 at 09:48:13:

:
: I used to have this problem, but my new holster has resolved it pretty nicely. Made it myself for about $3.00.

: What I did was to take a 1/2" strap and fold the top over and back so that it made a belt loop. This was fastened in place by attaching a male snap through both pieces pointing out. Then I cut the long end of the strap to the right length and put the female snap piece on the end so that when it's all snapped up, the leather strap makes a figure-8. The bottom loop (that opens up and holds the whip) was cut long enough so that I could wrap it once around the entire whip, and then once around just the thickest piece before snapping it up. I find this generates enough grip and bind that the whole thing locks in pretty nicely and doesn't slide too much, even when running. Of course, when you run, the knob on the whip whacks you in the knee anyway which can hurt like hell, so you need to make sure it's up and out of the way which will keep it from sliding down, anyway.

: -IJFan

Yes, I think it is safe to assume that the simple leather strap used in the films wasn't enough to hold the whip in place while running, etc., but that the whip was probably tied up before being put in the whip holder for those fast-paced scenes. If you want to have a whip holder identical to the one in the film, you need to put up with it falling. If you simply want one that holds it in, the design used in the Mark Allen whip holder would hold it nicely. It uses two leather straps that wrap across the whip once it is in the loop, then the loop is snapped up.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]