Re: What exactly is Petersham ribbon anyway???

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-te081.proxy.aol.com on May 08, 2000 at 21:19:46:

In Reply to: What exactly is Petersham ribbon anyway??? posted by Steve on May 08, 2000 at 20:39:06:

: There's always a big deal made about this Petersham ribbon, and I was just wondering if anyone really knew what the difference was between it and grosgrain. I swear I have watched the 3 movies trying to distinguish it from my grosgrain, and well, they look the same to me. I visited a site today and they sold petersham, and it was made of nylon! If Petersham is typically made of nylon, Indy must have had something else on his fedora, because nylon wasn't available in his era. I guess the petersham in that time was made of silk. But seriously, does anyone know what the difference is? Thanks, Steve

From what I've gathered Petersham is "true" grosgrain. It is generally not a synthetic. What I got from Judith M Designs is a mix.
The main difference is it has a scalloped edge rather than a ribbed one, which makes it easier to shape the ribbon to the hat.
That said, I would have to agree with the statement that the ribbon actually used in the trilogy is no longer available. I have the "Temple of Doom" Official Collectors Edition and on page 6 there's a very large close-up of Harrison and that is a somewhat different ribbon, perhaps a pure cotton or silk petersham, but it has
no sheen. I reckon the Petersham you can get today is as close as you can get, but not exactly whats on Indy's hat. Clear as mud, right?

Cheers!

Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: