Re: Remastered videos (PAL) and widescreen questions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Swordmaster from pm27.wwnet.fi on May 12, 2000 at 10:33:41:

In Reply to: Re: Remastered videos (PAL) and widescreen questions posted by Fall Guy on May 12, 2000 at 07:31:25:

Hey Fall Guy,

Thanks for your reply!

: If you watch a widescreen video on a regular TV you will naturally have the black stripes above and below the picture. It will not squeeze and distort the picture as you sadly may know from some TV broadcasts or even video rentals. The intended framing of the cinematographer is nearly fully preserved. If your TV is small it may be hard to make out some of the detail on a widescreen video. This is especially true for the NTSC standard, PAL has better resolution. Personally, I buy only widescreen videos.

This is cool, I never actually thought of that before I ran into these Indy films. My TV is 28", do you think it's big enough to watch the widescreen edition (the films are of course in PAL format)? Or should I go with the pan-and-scan version?

: You can transfer NTSC tapes to PAL, provided you have the necessary equipment, or you find a place that will do that. It's illegal, but it is usually not a problem to find someone who will do that. The converted tape will have only NTSC quality.

That's cool - maybe someone with the equipment and the NTSC version of the "Making of" tape could make some PAL copies for us European fans...? :)

: However, if you live in Europe and have a fairly new PAL VCR your chances are that your's can play NTSC tapes! Many VCRs can do that lately! Always ask for that feature when buying a new one.

My video set is bought in 1997, I've never tried to play any NTSC cassettes on it (since I don't have any) so I don't know if it can play those. Is there any way to check it without having an NTSC cassette available (serial codes etc.)?

: Are you sure you don't want to wait for Indy DVDs? That's a hot topic on this forum. Many want those films on DVD, but Lucas won't give them to us [yet]!

I don't have a DVD player yet and if/when they finally get Indy DVDs on market, I can probably afford getting the DVD versions even if I already have the VHS versions (can you believe it, I don't currently have any Indy videos!)... ;)

Again, thanks for your reply!

~Swordmaster~

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: