And all these years I thought I had grown a mustache. Hummm. (grins) (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 12, 2000 at 13:30:38:

In Reply to: The truth is out there: posted by Fall Guy on May 12, 2000 at 06:51:30:

: After checking several sources [I could not get hold of my former biology teacher, so I HAD TO CHECK MYSELF], I found the following:
:
: Traditionally the natural objects were classified into three primary divisions: Animal Kingdom, Mineral Kingdom and Plant Kingdom. In this case the fungi would fall into the Plant Kingdom. To quote Webster's: "fungi: a division or other major group of lower plants..."

: However, according to Encylopaedia Britannica most scientists have now assigned fungi their own kingdom. The reason is that fungi do not possess chlorophyll, the green coloring material necessary for photosynthesis. Also scientists believe that fungi [and algae as well, I gather] have developed seperately from plants.

: It comes down to definitions of categories and subdivisions. Certainly the new definition is more refined. Still, I had preferred if my "opponent :)" had presented a fact in his support rather than being just dismissive.

: Let's call a fungus a "parasitic organism". I hope that helps. Fall Guy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]