Oh, and the ribbon should be 1 1/2".

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-ta084.proxy.aol.com on May 18, 2000 at 21:59:48:

In Reply to: Re: Where are the fedora gurus? posted by Dakota Ellison on May 18, 2000 at 21:57:15:

: : I posted asking for advice about ordering a fedora, and the response has been dismal. I am surprised. Help me out guys. Is the 2 3/4 inch brim the right one? How much should I cut off the sides? Is there a templet anywhere that I could get? Where do I get a petershim ribbon? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

:
: I will try to help. Yes, the 2 3/4" is the brim you want. You can obtain petersham ribbon in dark brown from Judith M Designs. They are in LaGrange Indiana and their number is 219-499-4407. I got 3 yards for $4.95. Add 4.35 for shipping and handling.
: Now, the Indy Miller comes blocked or un-blocked. I got the unblocked model, but I have practiced on a lot of fedoras. If this is your first, maybe you should get the already blocked model. Really, though, shaping the crown is not that hard. Getting the brim to lie down is harder. You can use water, use steam from a teapot, or use an iron. Whatever you use, go easy. I like the steam myself. Once you get the brim flat enough you want to take approximately 1/8" off the
: sides to give it a more oval shape. If you haven't done this before
: just use 60 grit sandpaper. Stop and measure, don't get it lopsided.
: Watch your favorite Indy tape for inspiration. Buy a cheap used
: fedora from the Goodwill store to practice on. Consult IndyGear's fedora section for more tips.
: The Indy Miller is the best replica of Indy's fedora this side of the Pond. A recent Herbert Johnson buyer remarked on how close his Miller resembled it. The only drawback is you have to work at it.
: You can buy two Millers and still save on what you'd buy a HJ for.
: I've had mine for 3 or four months and it really looks good now.
: Anymore I can add, just ask.

: Cheers!

: Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: