Re: Where are the fedora gurus?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MF from h00105a17b29a.ne.mediaone.net on May 18, 2000 at 22:25:26:

In Reply to: Re: Where are the fedora gurus? posted by Michaelson on May 18, 2000 at 22:00:28:

Get a Miller. Sweet hats, made by a great company (Biltmore).

I'd suggest get unabashed -- this allows you to choose the style. I prefer the higher crown and more rounded look of the TOD and LC hats, and you can do this with the unformed hats.

Frankly, I can't tell the difference between my home-tweaked Millers and the hat(s) in the beginning of LC.

This all said, if you are going for the razorsharp ROTLA pinch, then the preshaped hat is almost already there.

Cutting the brim is a tricky task. I've posted my opinions on this before: use *quality* sharp scissors, NOT a blade, and trim small amounts. Work the curve in (with the steam kettle) as you go. You can always trim more, but you can't add back a cut too far.

The price is good for a hat of this quality. As has been noted, you could buy two Millers, with the full intention of destroying one, and still have change compared to an HJ. Make no mistake, I want and will own and HJ, but the Miller hats have become a part of my everyday wardrobe.

The only "complaint" I have with the Miller is that the side of the brim is too wide; I too believe is should be around 2 1/2"; anything else is too wide. Mr. Miller has told me this is because the Biltmore equipment isn't jigged to do a more oval cut. With patience and care, you can do that yourself. Just need those sharp scissors and some sandpaper.

I hope to borrow a digital camera so I can provide some images of my hats; I've done them all slightly differently so I have a variety.

The ribbon I'm somewhat ambivalent about: I think it should be thinner and darker, but since I choose the unabashed model, the crown is high enough that the ribbon looks right in my eyes.

If you're looking for the Raiders effect, a darker, slightly thinner ribbon will be on your list of mods...

// MF

P.S. Who lives in Cambridge that I see walking down Brattle Street with your bag and hat? :-) Post a followup if it's you!!! :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]