It's axiomatic that we don't want to see Indy wine and dine:

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0160.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on May 20, 2000 at 05:51:23:

In Reply to: Very true, however... posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on May 19, 2000 at 15:59:07:

: You'll find in most movies, they show very few scenes where characters will eat lots unless they are fat and eat like crazy for comic effect. I'm not sure why that is, but I suposse watching someone eat for 10 minutes just doesn't seem terribly exciting. You always get the impression that they eat offscreen of course. Also, think of this. Have you ever seen a movie where there is a dinner scene and everyone eats regularly? There aren't that many, they're mostly just talking about something to advance the plot. For example, in Jurassic Park, that scene where everyone is talking about whether the park is ethical or not, did you see anyone take one bite out of their food? I didn't see them eat. Also, let's bring in all the Star Wars films. In all 4, the characters seldom eat. In ANH, you only see Luke pick at his food, you never see him eat anything. ESB, same deal, Luke barely eats whatever concoction Yoda makes him. The exception of the Wampa snacking on some animals. Also, ROTJ, the only person to really eat was Jabba the Hutt with all those frogs. In TPM, only Jar Jar seems to eat whenever he sticks his tongue out. The TPM dinner scene only sees Jar Jar eat an apple, drink something, and Qui-Gon eats some sort of food off his plate. It was only a tiny amount. Makes you think that SW characters are also starving as well as Indy characters. :) Right now, the only movie that I can think of where a character eats more extensively would be in E.T. whenever they gave the little dude some food. He ate lots of celery and Reese's Pieces, and drank lots of Beer too. :)

: Anyways, just my two pesos. :)

But I gotta tell ya there are movies that have the "eating theme" as an intrinsic element. Check at least 'The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover' (by Peter Greenaway, 1989), 'Delicatessen' (French, ca 1990), 'My dinner with Andre'(1981). I know I'll probably get flak for omitting the correct accent on the "e", but ever since I have had that Japanese language kit installed I can't type it correctly! BTW, I love that tipsy E.T.! :) Fall Guy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]